Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Instant Coffee, Rainbows, & Wild Dogs

Yep. The title says it all. This is what life in Pago Pago is like for me right now. Yesterday morning I woke up and it was FREEZING. Well, not freezing by Michigan standards, but freezing by Samoa standards. And, it was raining. Because I was still in absolute shock of my new surrounding I decided to bundle up and go for a walk. Within 5 minutes the rain stopped (because, I guess that's about as long as it ever rains here.) This is what I found:


Yep. That's a full on rainbow. I guess by checking out the locals, I was the only one who was completely struck by it. I guess that sort of thing happens here often. I can get used to this. After staring with my mouth obviously wide open and looking like a complete idiot for maybe 10 minutes, I decided to keep walking. That's when I met the dogs. There were two of them and they were ADORABLE. They also wanted to kill me. So as I was being growled and barked at by two dogs that could easily be in a kibbles and bits commercial I promptly turned around and booked it. If people weren't staring before, they definitely were now. Clearly, I'm making friends quick.

During orientation, I am staying at a high school. We're sleeping in classrooms and eating in the home ec room. The food here is pretty Americanized and so is everything else for that matter. There is a McDonalds, Carl's Jr, Pizza Hut, KFC, and a Ford dealership all within walking distance. The only thing that reminds me that I'm not in Michigan anymore, is when I wake up to this:


This is my view from the balcony of the school. Not too shabby. I now spend my mornings drinking instant coffee and just staring. Well, and obviously blogging too, but you get the point.

Alright folks. That's all from me. Sending serious love from across the world.  Hopefully today will be full of rainbows and dogs that don't want to kill me!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos!!!
    Isn't the fast food presence depressing? I always hate seeing those companies in other countries I visit. America is truly the world's junk food ambassador.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great - found your blog and will be following your experiences virtually. Hope you are safe and thinking about you all the time.

    Jimmy :)

    ReplyDelete