Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

Malo!

I hope everyone is having a safe and happy Halloween both near and far. This has been quite the week. Less than one week until the presidential election, and with Hurricane Sandy destroying the Northeast, I really do wish I were back in Michigan to witness/ support the craziness.

Today is Halloween and we certainly celebrated it here at FES. My students showed up with masks, face make-up and everything in between.


The airplane that flies from the main island to here a few times a week is broke, so we haven't had much contact with the mainland for about a week now. A boat is coming Saturday and should bring gas/supplies/mail to our island. Because of this, some of the students who were supposed to have their costumes shipped here from Tutuila, weren't able to get them in time. Also, the adults don't really have much candy to hand out. Luckily, Mama Jude sent me some yummy candy from the States in her most recent care package, so the kids will get lucky when they get to my house.

School today was a joke. We started the day with an assembly and every class stood up and showed off their costumes, then they did a random dance. I dressed up as a black cat (I'm sure those who knew me during childhood aren't surprised.) I had matching costumes with two other teachers- Neta and Faiupu.  Here is a picture of us!
Neta (L), Faiupu (C)

Needless to say, it was a big mistake because we were then called out during the assembly and forced to do a impromptu dance. This dance turned into a weird hip hop sword fight with our tails. The kids loved it. 

After the assembly, the kids came back to my classroom, along with my 7th graders to do some fun Halloween-themed activities. At 11am, the bell rang for lunch (45 minutes early). The kids ate and then we did trick or treating around the school. 

Here are some photos I snapped around my classroom.

May, Vinny, and Lagi (7th grade) helping with a poster, and Joe (4th grade) looking tough.

Meke (3rd grade) working on a Halloween word search.

Cina (4th grade), Peau (4th grade), and Lawrence (3rd grade) making their own masks!
Because there was a candy shortage on island, I decided to make chocolate cupcakes for the whole school-- from scratch. It was a 2 day ordeal, but in the end, I enjoyed them (65 in total!) and so did the kids/staff.  After trick or treating, PE started around noon and the kids have literally been outside playing for the past 2 hours. I, however, have been inside lesson planning for tomorrow, which means I will have a very early night!

Tonight will be spent at church, some voli (volleyball), and then a second round of trick or treating. It's a tough life, but someone has to do it. :-) Fai fai le mu! 

No comments:

Post a Comment